My kids love to get messy! I love to see them doing what they love. I don’t love cleaning up messes though. I am relieved when the cold dreary days of winter are over and we can venture outside for some messy activities that don’t require a lot of cleanup.
One of our favorite outside activities is painting with sidewalk chalk paint. There are lots of options for sidewalk chalk paint in the store, however a more budget friendly idea is to make your own. There are a million and one recipes online, but my all time favorite includes only two ingredients. Sidewalk chalk and water.
What you need:
Zippered sandwich bags
A fine food grater
Containers to mix the paint in
Paintbrushes (fingers work great too!)
- Pick your sidewalk chalk. I love stocking up at the dollar tree for this. However, if you’re wanting more vibrant or a variety of colors check out your local stores and select the chalk of your choosing!
- Use the food grater to grind up your chalk. I’ve found that the finer the grate the better chalk powder you get. I’ve tried smashing the chalk, soaking the chalk, I even put it in the food processor (wouldn’t recommend that one at all!). Using the food grater works the best!
- Put the desired amount of chalk powder into your paint containers (we used empty water bottle bottoms) and mix in water to get your desired consistency. The thicker the paint the bright it will be when your kids put it on the driveway or sidewalk. If you get too much water you can mix in some cornstarch to thicken it up instead of using up all your chalk powder!
- Grab whatever paint tools and head to your driveway or sidewalk.
- Get messy and enjoy! (Remember it paints on like colored water and then dries chalky!)
My kids favorite part was after painting for a while they got to ‘splat’ the remaining paint across the driveway. Here are a few links to some of our other favorite outside activities with sidewalk chalk paint.
Sidewalk Squirt Paint: http://www.growingajeweledrose.com/2013/06/summer-fun-with-sidewalk-chalk.html?m=1
Sidewalk Chalk Spray Paint:
Erupting Sidewalk Chalk Ice Paint: http://www.learnplayimagine.com/2014/05/erupting-ice-chalk-paint-recipe.html?m=1
Bubbling Sidewalk Chalk Paint:
Hi, I’m Sherry, a 30 year old married mama of two, ages 6 and 4. I’m a registered nurse and serve on the board for the Down Syndrome Group of the Ozarks. I love to spend time doing crafts and messy activities with my kids. We love going fishing as a family. In the small amount of free time I have, I often write about the more humorous side of parenting, share some of the activities that we’ve enjoyed the most and talk about raising a child with Down syndrome. I share all of this on my blog, Hand Me Downs.